Alexandra Burke cancels Brighton Pride performance

Brighton Pride organizers have responded to a headliner cancelling, and claims of kettling from Queers Against Cuts

Alexandra Burke cancels Brighton Pride performance
03 September 2012

Pop star and X Factor winner Alexandra Burke cancelled her performance at Brighton and Hove Pride on Saturday (1 September).

The ‘Bad Boys’ singer, who was a headline act for the gay festival held in the British seaside city, pulled out after her technical team said they were unsatisfied with the venue.

Director of Brighton and Hove Pride Trevor Edwards told Gay Star News negotiations had broken down in the late afternoon after her management’s new requirements could not be accommodated.

He said: ‘It was looked at her playing in the dance tent which is where Fatboy Slim played and where Freemasons played, but that didn’t meet her new requirements either.

‘So reluctantly, we were informed that she wasn’t going to play.’

‘It was as much of a disappointment to us as it was to the people waiting to see her,’ Edwards added.

Burke, who performed in Cardiff the same night, tweeted: ‘Hey Guys, due to circumstances out of my control I’m unable to perform at Brighton Pride today, so sorry guys.’

Despite the disappointment, Edwards told GSN the organizers have had lots of positive feedback so far, which he said was remarkable because they did it in only 24 weeks.

The director said: ‘People realized they had bought tickets for Pride. It’s fantastic that we have support from people like the Freemasons, Fatboy Slim, and there was over a hundred performers at the women’s tent, and there were loads of cabaret artists.

‘After all, I think that Pride is more than just one person.’

Edwards also responded to criticism from anti-government group Queers Against Cuts (QUAC) who claimed they were kettled and persistently harassed.

‘There seemed to have been trouble before the parade moved off – with our section mysteriously being moved to the back of the parade.’ said Richard Farnos, London QUAC Co-Convenor.

Farnos said a ‘belligerent steward’ began making trouble with the group. When latecomers attempted to join in the parade, Farnos said people were ‘physically thrown back into the crowds.’

Edwards responded by saying police had to be there simply because of traffic management issues, and QUAC had signed a contract of terms and conditions which meant organizers could move the order of parading groups.

When asked if Edwards thought QUAC felt they had been unnecessarily policed, he said: ‘Well [QUAC]’s actions, as seen by them being abusive to the parade volunteers meant we were obviously going to keep an eye on them.

‘They weren’t being policed, they were just asked to move to the back of the parade.’

Renowned gay rights activist Peter Tatchell agreed with QUAC, who said there was no justification for the way the group was mistreated.

He said: ‘No other political contingent was abused in this way. It marred what was otherwise a brilliant parade.’

Brighton organizers are now looking to next year’s festival, which they have a full 52 weeks to plan, with promises to look at the feedback and make Pride ‘bigger and better’.

Edwards hoped next year will be more family friendly, and include more cultural events in other parts of the city.

He said: ‘I think we pulled it off quite well, as people definitely seemed to enjoy it. It will go from strength to strength.’

HAVE YOUR SAY

MORE TOP STORIES

No thumbnail available
No thumbnail available

Have you got something to say?

Share your thoughts and opinions with the world and contribute to the Comment section of Gay Star News
No thumbnail available

Vatican attacks Ireland after being 'defeated' by gay marriage

Young people prove the Catholic Church's power over Ireland has waned, Vatican paper says
No thumbnail available

After years of being anti-gay, Puerto Rican politician comes out of the closet

Nude photos of Roberto Arango had previously shown up on Grindr leading him to resign from office in 2011
No thumbnail available

Nearly 3 million Facebook users turned red for gay marriage

Millions of people changed their profile pic in favor of a version promoting the Human Rights Campaign for equal marriage
No thumbnail available

With one wife dying, Indiana's Attorney General blasted for 'shameful display of cruelty' towards lesbian couple

Lambda Legal launches petition drive in support of woman who wants wife recorded on her death certificate
No thumbnail available

Trans Vietnam Idol finalist stars in 'Normalize Condoms' campaign

Huong Giang wears dress made of 2,000 condoms as part of publicity campaign funded by USAID
No thumbnail available

Integration not segregation: How all schools can be LGBT-friendly

It was announced last week that England’s first ‘gay school', aimed primarily at LGBT pupils, is due to be launched in Manchester. Elly Barnes, CEO and Founder of Educate & Celebrate, explains why she would instead prefer to see all schools adopt LGBT-friendly practices
No thumbnail available

Video of toddler singing 'Ain't No Homos Gonna Make It to Heaven' in Indiana church goes viral

Congregation of Apostolic Truth Tabernacle erupts in thunderous applause after the song;  Pastor now getting death threats
No thumbnail available

Rock singer Tyler Glenn on how his struggle to remain Mormon and be openly gay

'I wasn't wanting to be so quick to just throw awaythings that I believe in that I still find are true'