Happy birthday to Madonna
The Material Girl turns 54 today and shows no sign of stopping after nearly three decades in pop
Madonna turned 54 today (16 August), and the gay icon shows no sign of stopping after nearly three decades as the Queen of Pop.
The girl rarely takes a holiday, and keeps on releasing new music while other pop legends are happy to take a bow to the same old classics.
The Material Girl’s 12th album MDNA stormed to the top of the charts in 20 countries from the United States to the UK, and Australia to Argentina.
Will she be celebrating with an American Pie? Or a Vogue? Or a Bedtime Story? We don’t know, but here are some of our favorite moments from the birthday girl:
- In 1983, Madonna performed ‘Holiday’ on Dick Clark’s American Bandstand. When asked what she wanted to do with her life, she said ‘rule the world’.
- When Madonna signed a $5 million contract with Pepsi in 1989, it was a massive amount of money. Madonna debuted the title track for her fourth album Like A Prayer for Pepsi’s Make A Wish commercial. But as soon as the actual video for the single was released, featuring burning crosses and an inter-racial romance with Jesus, Pepsi yanked the ad and the pop star was left with all the money and all the controversy.
- ‘Only I can do Eva PerÃ³n,’ said Madonna, newly cast in a film of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical Evita. ‘Like me, she left her hometown in order to succeed. I went to New York and she went to SÃ£o Paulo.’ Evita was Madonna’s best foray into film, winning the singer both a Golden Globe and a top ten single for ‘Don’t Cry For Me Argentina’.
- Does anyone remember anything from the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards without thinking of that kiss between Madonna and Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake’s face, and Christina Aguilera being totally ignored?
- Critics said she was past it, and she couldn’t put on a show anymore. Madonna proved them wrong by stunning the crowds at the Super Bowl 2012. The 12-minute medley featured old and new hits, cheerleaders, harpists, Roman soldiers, drum corps, and cameos from Cee Lo Green, LMFAO and Nicki Minaj.
Check out a megamix of Madonna’s hits, and a selection of pictures throughout the years, here: