Voice of Elmo asks court to dismiss charges against him
Lawyer says the three plaintiffs who say Clash had sex with them when they were underage should have filed their lawsuits earlier
Kevin Clash, the voice of Sesame Street’s Elmo, has asked a judge to dismiss three lawsuits against him.
The gay former Puppeteer quit the much-loved children’s show last year after three men accused him of having sex with them when they were underage.
Clash’s lawyer filed a motion last Friday saying that the statutes of limitation – the length of time after an event when a criminal charge can be brought – have run out so the cases should be dismissed, Star Pulse reports.
Attorney Michael Berger argues that the men should have filed lawsuits earlier in 2012 to be able to pursue legal action against Clash.
Jeff Herman, the lawyer representing the three plaintiffs does not accept Berger’s view of the situation.
‘It should be noted this motion does not say the abuse did not happen, just that it is too late to file the complaints,’ Herman said.
Clash denied the allegation when the first man spoke out against him last November, saying the relationship was between two consenting adults. That man then dropped his allegation saying his and Clash’s relationship was adult and consensual.
This news appears to have prompted the other men to speak out and file lawsuits against Clash for having underage sexual encounters with them.
When he resigned from Sesame Street, a show he worked on for nearly 30 years, Clash said:
‘Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work Sesame Street is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer. I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately.’