Now Reading
Activists, lawmakers, and military personnel condemn Trump’s trans ban memo

Activists, lawmakers, and military personnel condemn Trump’s trans ban memo

Many people have come out over the past few days criticizing Trump’s latest step towards implementing a ban on transgender soldiers serving in the military.

On Friday, 25 August, the Trump administration issued a memo announcing the end of transgender military service starting in March of 2018.

Now, current and former military personnel, trans activists, and lawmakers have condemned this memo and the ban.

‘When I was bleeding to death in my Black Hawk helicopter after I was shot down, I didn’t care if the American troops risking their lives to save me were gay, straight, transgender, black, white, or brown,’ Senator Tammy Duckworth of Illinois said.

‘It would be a step in the wrong direction to force currently serving transgender individuals to leave the military solely on the basis of their gender identity rather than medical and readiness standards that should always be at the heart of Department of Defense personnel policy,’ Arizona Senator John McCain said in a statement.

‘The Pentagon’s ongoing study on this issue should be completed before any decisions are made with regard to accession. The Senate Armed Services Committee will continue to conduct oversight on this important issue.’

Chelsea Manning, a trans woman who previously served in the U.S military, claimed the President was looking to ‘normalize hate.’

Laverne Cox, a well-known transgender actress, believes this memo to be yet another attack on trans people who want to contribute to society.

Jen Richards, creator of the Emmy-nominated web series Her Story, called for unity among trans people.

The ACLU, Lambda Legal, and OutServe-Service Members Legal Defense Network (SLDN) are suing Trump, releasing Tweets saying they’ll see him in court.

Five transgender service members are also suing Trump over this ban in a separate lawsuit.