Alleged Canadian serial killer Bruce McArthur won’t stand trial until early 2020.
McArthur, 67, a landscape gardener from Toronto, appeared in a court Friday. He faces charges relating to the murders of eight men, all of whom had connections to Toronto’s gay village.
Prosecutors expressed the wish to press ahead with a full trial next September. However, McArthur’s defense, wanting more time to prepare their case, requested a delay. His trial will now go ahead from 6 January 2020.
McArthur sat in the prisoner’s box during the hearing. He said little and avoided looking at the relatives of Andrew Kinsman. Well-known in the local LGBTI community, Kinsman is one of the men McArthur’s charged with killing.
The trial is expected to last 3-4 months.
Bruce McArthur arrest and investigation
McArthur was arrested in January and charged with the murders of two men. Police said they had been watching him for several months as part of their ongoing investigations into the disappearances of several gay/bi men from around Toronto’s gay village.
They swooped upon McArthur when they saw a man entering his property. Fearing for his safety, they entered the property and found him tied up but unharmed.
Subsequent investigations discovered human blood belonging to some of the missing men in McArthur’s home, as well as photographs of some of the missing on McArthur’s computer. Investigators believe some of the photos show men after their death.
Since his arrest, investigators have searched around 100 sites associated with the gardener. Human remains belonging to eight men have been identified. He now faces eight separate first-degree murder charges.
Police identify the dead men as: Selim Esen; Skandaraj Navaratnam; Andrew Kinsman; Majeed Kayhan; Dean Lisowick; Soroush Mahmudi; Abdulbasir Faizi; and Kirushna Kanagaratnam.
McArthur next appears in court for another pre-trial hearing on 13 December.