Call Me By Your Name turned heads at this year’s Academy Awards – and now the film’s director has confirmed the loose details of a previously hinted sequel.
Starring Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet, Call My By Your Name follows a teenager and a 20-something who embark on a passionate gay love affair in ’80s Italy.
CMBYN won the hearts and minds of film-goers the world over, despite only picking up an Oscar for Best Screenplay.
Speaking on the red carpet on Sunday (4 March), director Luca Guadagnino confirmed to USA Today that work on the sequel had begun.
He also shared that a new story would follow the couple six years later, closer towards the beginning of the nineties.
Call me By Your Name sequel: ‘It’s gonna be a new movie, a different tone’
‘I’m already conceiving the story with [author] André Aciman. It’s gonna happen five or six years afterwards, so almost in the 1990s.
‘It’s gonna be a new movie, a different tone. You’re gonna see a lot of the East Coast of America… They’re gonna go around the world.’
When asked about a possible date for a sequel, the director remained tight lipped: ‘We have to get there with the script, but we will.’
In January, Guadagnino first hinted at a sequel and said that AIDS could be relevant in the follow up to the film,.
‘I think it’s going to be a very relevant part of the story.’
According to ScreenDaily, Guadagnino said at the BFI London Film Festival:
’I want to do a sequel because Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer, Michael Stuhlbarg, Amira Casar, Esther Garrel — they are all gems.’