Now Reading
Australian cruise refunds passengers after 1,300 people came aboard with burlesque dancers

Australian cruise refunds passengers after 1,300 people came aboard with burlesque dancers

Royal Caribbean cruise ship in Sydney

Passengers aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise received a refund after their vacation was taken over by a work conference, complete with burlesque dancers and beyond.

‘It was almost like a huge bucks [bachelor] party, a bucks night for 1,200 people,’ passenger Cassandra Riini told  A Current Affair.

The ship, the Voyager of the Seas, sailed from Singapore on 6 September to Sydney. Royal Caribbean International operates the ship.

1,300 employees from the Indian gutka company Kamla Pasand were some of the passengers on board. They gathered on the ship for a conference.

According to passengers, burlesque dancers and women dressed as Playboy Bunnies, accompanied the men. They quickly spread throughout the ship, allegedly ‘taking over’ spaces like the pool decks and bars.

Riini continued: ‘Their doors would be open and you would walk past and be like what am I going to be looking at when I walk past this door? It is hard to forget after seeing all the flashbacks of these men around all the time, 24 hours a day, like we could not escape.’

Other passengers claimed the men filmed young girls on the ship on their phones.

Full refunds and an apology

Christine Weyling, a passenger from the state of New South Wales, wished the cruise company had warned them.

‘It was crazy…little Playboy bunny outfits, you know this is a family boat,’ she said.

‘I think that they should have notified us that there was a big group that had been booked and had booked the pool deck out…everyone on that ship should have been notified.’

Royal Caribbean Australia released the following statement to A Current Affair:

‘We operate with the safety of our guests and crew as our highest priority, and are currently looking into all guest feedback regarding this incident to ensure it does not happen again.’

GSN reached out to Royal Caribbean Australia for further comment.

Update 8PM PST: Royal Caribbean Australia provided GSN with a comment about the matter:

‘After a three-night sailing from Singapore on September 6, several guests shared their concerns with us about the behavior of a group of other guests aboard the ship. We were able to quickly provide them with a satisfactory solution to their concerns.  Royal Caribbean operates with the safety of our guests and crew as our highest priority. We are continuing to review this incident to ensure that our guest conduct policy is applied appropriately.’

H/t: Newsweek

More from Gay Star News

My first taste of Thailand as a gay adventure seeker

Curaçao celebrates Pride with annual Navigaytion cruise in the Caribbean Sea

Search called off for missing bi pop star who went overboard on cruise ship