Hot on the heels of the news that Disney was selling official rainbow-hued Mickey Mouse ears, the Disney Shop has unveiled a Pride collection of merchandise.
News of the collection was announced yesterday on the official OhMyDisney Instagram account. It’s going on sale now ahead of LGBTI Pride Month in the US.
‘@shopdisney just launched the rainbow mickey collection and we’re obsessed ❤💛💚💙💜 now through june 30, 2018, shopDisney will donate 10% of online sales from the Rainbow Mickey Collection to @GLSENofficial. swipe through to see some of the products in the collection and go to the link in our bio to shop!’
GLSEN is a non-profit organization helping to make schools more LGBTI inclusive. Disney will donate 10% from all online sales (up to a maximum donation of $50,000).
The collection includes T-shirts, caps, water bottles, pins and tank tops.
Eliza Byard, Executive Director of GLSEN, told GSN: ‘Just in time for pride season, Disney’s Rainbow Mickey Collection sends a powerful message of love and inclusion that will be seen around the world, from Pride marches to the Magic Kingdom’s Main Street.
‘Mickey Mouse has brought joy to millions of children, young and old, and this collection builds on that tradition, by ensuring LGBTQ youth can also see a world in which they can dream and believe.’
The full list and prices are below.
- Rainbow Mickey Collection Travel Pack ($19.95)
- Rainbow Mickey Collection Hat ($19.95)
- The Rainbow Mickey Collection Sunglasses ($17.95)
- Rainbow Mickey Collection Fitted Tank Top for Adults ($24.95)
- Rainbow Mickey Collection Tank Top for Adults ($24.95)
- The Rainbow Mickey Collection T-Shirt for Adults ($29.95)
- Rainbow Mickey Collection Stainless Steel Water Bottle ($16.95)
- Rainbow Mickey Collection Pin Set ($16.95)
- The Rainbow Mickey Ear Hat ($17.99)
- Mickey Mouse Rainbow Icon Pin ($12.99)
- Mickey Mouse Rainbow Standing Pin ($9.99)
Many online have welcomed the collection. However, some have responded that although the items are welcome, Disney could do more in terms of raising LGBTI representation.
‘Disney has pride stuff but not a single LGBT character hmph,’ commented @crisyberd on Instagram.
Although LeFou in last year’s Beauty & The Beast was gay, his sexuality was not explicitly stated. However, many Disney fans believe the organization is definitely moving in the right direction.
‘[LeFou is] certainly a good stepping stone to a defined LGBT character, so I would count him but I’m definitely holding out for a character that it’s confirmed in the movie they are,’ commented @aj_is_bored.