Now Reading
Gay banker murdered wife, incinerated body to hide his sexuality

Gay banker murdered wife, incinerated body to hide his sexuality

A gay British Indian banker was found guilty of murdering his wife and incinerating her body today (11 April).

Jasvir Ram Ginday, 29, was convicted of murdering Varkha Rani, 24, at their home last September.

Back in 2008, Ginday confidentially told a friend he was attracted to men but could not tell his family as his mother disapproved of homosexuality.

Four years later, he was engaged to Rani and married her in a lavish ceremony with hundreds of guests in India.

She moved to the UK to be with him in August after being granted a visa.

As soon as she arrived, the prosecution said Ginday had already started planning her death with someone at the family home making a search for incinerators online.

On 12 September, Ginday claimed the couple had a row in which his wife threatened to ‘expose’ his homosexuality to friends and family, after apparently discovering ‘compromising’ material on an iPad and iPhone.

On the same day, he was also seen on CCTV buying a quantity of petrol.

It was alleged Ginday strangled Rani at their home with a metal pipe from a vacuum cleaner before he put her in the incinerator.

Two days after the death, police became aware of smoke emanating from the property.

Officers carried out a search of the garden and asked Ginday what was inside the incinerator.

‘It’s food,’ he said, according to the Birmingham Mail.

But when the PC lifted the lid, he discovered the gruesome remains of a human skull.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Sarbjit Johal said: ‘How Varka met her death still remains a mystery, her body was badly damaged but it was clear to the pathologist that she was dead when she was put into the incinerator.

‘Ginday got married as a matter of convenience – he tricked a poor innocent girl into marriage but was living a lie.

‘When she uncovered the truth he could not live with it and killed her quickly then tried to dispose of her body and her possessions by burning them. Had another day passed before police attended, Ginday may well have successfully removed all traces of Varkha.’

Ginday, who had denied murder but admitted manslaughter, was found guilty at Wolverhampton Crown Court.

Sentencing was due to take place on Friday afternoon.