Now Reading
Gay couple spat on, clawed and violently attacked in Essex pub

Gay couple spat on, clawed and violently attacked in Essex pub

Marcus Rilet (top left) and his partner, Nate Taylor were left bruised and beaten after a brawl in a pub in Essex, Southeast England | Pictures: Facebook

A gay couple suffered a torrent of homophobic insults before being spat on, clawed and physically attacked in an unprovoked attack in Essex in southeast England.

Marcus Taylor and his partner, Nate Harlan, were drinking with friends in the beer garden of the Purple Dog, Colchester, on 22 June when a man began abusing them.

The couple took to social media to share what happened to them, but Facebook later removed it due to a user reporting it.

What happened?

According to Taylor, who posted his account of what happened on Facebook, a man approached him and his partner and began calling them ‘queers,’ ‘poofs,’ and ‘snowflakes.’

However, the incident spilt into violence when someone threw a pint of beer over them and a second man as well as a woman joined in.

The pair then clawed and kicked Taylor, while Harlan suffered a suspected fractured wrist.

‘She clawed at my neck and ripped my top off ‘

Taylor, a project manager aged 33, said: ‘They were going for about ten minutes when the woman spat – that’s when it got violent.

‘She clawed at my neck and ripped my top off and snapped off my watch.

‘One of the men then grabbed hold of me and pushed me against the fence. I fell down and I was pushed between two picnic tables and forced down and kicked.

‘The other male was hitting my partner.’

He added: ‘Can you image if it was someone less able to defend themselves?

‘It shouldn’t be happening in this day and age.’

Staff escorted the trio out of the pub premises. An Essex police officer arrived to take details of the attack which left pub punters appalled.

But it was also an incident which left the pair shaken, They documented their injuries on Facebook and went to hospital. However, to Taylor’s disbelief, a user reported the post which site moderators quickly removed.

‘Marcus’s post shouldn’t have been removed and we’re sorry for any upset caused,’ a Facebook spokesperson told Gay Star News.

‘Our team processes millions of reports each week and occasionally we make mistakes. As soon as we were made aware of our error, we reinstated the post.’

Friends and family of Taylor and Harlan rallied on the post to show their support of the pair.

However, according to Taylor and police, someone working at the hospital where the pair were being treated saw the post and alleged they saw the female attacker.

They had seen the woman arrive into A&A with injuries. As a result, Marcus rung the blue light authorities. But the suspect had left by the time officers arrived to the scene.

Essex Police respond

An Essex Police spokesman said: ‘We were called with reports two people had been assaulted and subjected to homophobic abuse on Saturday at 8.40pm.

‘Our nearest officer, a PCSO who was patrolling nearby, attended the scene shortly after the assault being reported.

‘The suspects had left the scene. Further PCSOs were deployed to help with enquiries.

‘We received a call at 5pm on Monday with reports one of the people involved had been seen at Colchester Hospital.

‘We attended the hospital a short time later, but the suspect had left.’

Furthermore, LGBTI hate crimes are soaring in the UK as a specter of statistics haunts the nation.

A group of men assaulted two queer women on a London bus as they came home from a date. The crimes bubbling in a nation deeply divided by its withdrawal from the EU.

Also, analysis by the Guardian found LGBTI hate crimes across England and Wales rose by 144%.

See also