Now Reading
With gays allowed to march, Catholic League drops out of NYC St Patrick’s Day Parade

With gays allowed to march, Catholic League drops out of NYC St Patrick’s Day Parade

An LGBTI group will be marching in the New York City St. Patrick’s Day Parade in 2015 but the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights will not be.

The group’s president, Bill Donohoe, posted a letter on the group’s website Thursday (11 September) explaining why the league won’t be participating in the parade for the first time in 20 years.

Donohue writes that when it was recently announced that [email protected] would be allowed to march in the parade, he demanded that a pro-life Catholic group also be allowed in.

He writes that he was told that the list of marching units is set and that no pro-life group will march.

‘Accordingly, I have decided to withdraw our participation,’ Donohue states.

But, he insisted it has nothing to do with gays and is not meant as a slight to the parade’s Grand Marshal Timothy Cardinal Dolan.

‘My reasons for withdrawing from the parade have nothing to do with Cardinal Dolan or with gays,’ he writes.

‘It has to do with being betrayed by the parade committee. They not only told me one thing, and did another, they decided to include a gay group that is neither Catholic nor Irish while stiffing pro-life Catholics. This is as stunning as it is indefensible.’

Parade organizers announced last week that hat an LGBTI organization will be able to march in the event for the first time in its 253-year history.

The decision comes under increasing pressure from city leaders and parade sponsors to be more inclusive. The city’s mayor, Bill de Blasio, boycotted the event last year because of the LGBTI ban and Guinness and Heineken dropped out as sponsors.