Hollywood’s celebrities have a lot to say about the threats facing wild animals including whales, tigers and elephants.
So it is fitting that with awards season under way the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), which works to protect animals around the world, is releasing a series of video messages from the stars as part of its PROTECT campaign, which discusses the plight of endangered animals, as well as the importance of animal welfare education in conserving species.
Celebrities featured in the spots hail from a variety of musical genres and popular television series and movies, including award nominees and stars from music and many of the most popular TV shows (full list below).
The species highlighted in these short films face significant pressures:
- Elephants are hunted mercilessly for their tusks, fuelling a worldwide ivory trade.
- There are currently more tigers living in captivity in the US than there are left in the wild. Majestic, wild creatures such as these big cats are meant to live freely – not to be killed for medicinal or fashion products which nobody needs, or to be locked up for human entertainment.
- Whales are hunted commercially, entangled in fishing gear, injured by ship strikes and affected in a variety of ways by man-made ocean noise pollution.
The series of celebrity messages was made possible through the efforts of one particular dedicated individual: actress, director and IFAW ambassador Joely Fisher.
Fisher has been instrumental in IFAW’s celebrity-focused efforts, including rallying support for their Tails for Whales campaign, a global, grassroots initiative calling for stronger whale conservation.
Fisher and her husband, filmmaker Christopher Duddy, gathered more than two dozen Hollywood stars during last year’s awards season, when she helped devise the idea for this project.
The spots are being promoted online with social support from several of the celebrities involved and online and pro bono TV broadcast placement. Watch the collection of PROTECT PSAs here.
Founded in 1969, IFAW protects and saves animals in crisis around the world. With projects in more than 40 countries, IFAW rescues individual animals, works to prevent cruelty to animals and advocates for the protection of wildlife and habitats. For more information, visit ifaw.org. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
The stars supporting PROTECT:
- Michelle Monaghan (True Detective)
- Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
- Amber Valletta (Revenge)
- Goran Visnjic (ER)
- Joely Fisher (‘Til Death)
- Kristin Bauer van Straten (True Blood)
- Blake Lewis (American Idol)
- Brian Austin Green (Desperate Housewives)
- Camryn Manheim (The Practice)
- Denise Richards (Love Actually)
- Matt Sorum (Guns N’ Roses)
- Josh Bowman (Revenge)
- Duff McKagan (Guns N’ Roses)
- Ed Begley Jr (Six Feet Under)
- Melissa Rivers (Fashion Police)
- Hudson Thames (Bride Wars)
- Kate Mara (House of Cards)
- Kenny Lattimore (Grammy-nominated recording artist)
- Kym Whitley (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
- Mark Feuerstein (Royal Pains)
- Marla Sokoloff (Full House)
- Nestor Serrano (Dexter)
- Nicole Sullivan (The King of Queens)
- Odette Annable (House)
- Tricia Leigh Fisher (‘Til Death)
- William McNamara (Law & Order: SVU)
This is one of a series of articles written by Gay Star News in partnership with IFAW to raise awareness of animal welfare within the global LGBTI community. To find out more about IFAW’s work to protect animals around the world and how you can help click here.