Now Reading
Kevin Spacey accuser drops civil lawsuit against the actor

Kevin Spacey accuser drops civil lawsuit against the actor

Kevin Spacey

A young man who accused Kevin Spacey of sexual misconduct has dropped his civil lawsuit today (5 July).

The accuser claimed the Oscar-winning actor groped him in a bar in Nantucket, a tiny island off Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

The man is the son of Boston TV anchor Heather Unruh. He alleged Kevin Spacey got him drunk and sexually assaulted him at the Club Car restaurant where he, who was 18 at the time, worked as a busboy.

Despite the dismissed lawsuit, Spacey still faces a criminal charge. The actor pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery earlier this year.

The accuser dropped the lawsuit against Kevin Spacey

His accuser’s lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, announced in an email that the suit filed on 26 June in Nantucket Superior Court has been voluntarily dismissed.

The lawyer didn’t provide any reason for the decision, the LA Times reports.

According to the court filing, the suit was dismissed ‘with prejudice,’ which means it cannot be refiled.

Where’s the phone?

The criminal case has centered on the cellphone used by the accuser the night of the alleged groping. Spacey’s lawyer said they need it in order to recover text messages supporting his client’s innocence.

Nantucket District Court Judge Thomas Barrett has ordered the man to hand the phone over to the defense, but his attorney said they cannot find it. The judge has given them until Monday 8 June to produce the phone.

See also

Ian McKellen apologizes for ‘careless’ remarks on sexual abuse

Ian McKellen on #MeToo: ‘I’m waiting for someone to accuse me of something’

Director Bryan Singer denies sexual misconduct with underage boys