Hong Kong unravelled its rainbow flags Saturday to celebrate Pride and to keep up the fight for full equality.
Cardinal John Tong’s comments on Thursday, where he said the ‘traditional’ family were ‘challenged’ by the gay movement, have put LGBTI issues back in the spotlight.
But more than anything else it seemed marchers were out to celebrate how far we’ve come.
‘I think Hong Kong is making enormous progress,’ one of the marchers, Mark Green, told AFP.
And it was clear to see from the photos below.
1. Pride HK is officially underway!
2. Thousands turned out to celebrate their feelings of Pride…
3. Let’s hear it for the I’s in LGBTI!
4. Is this a nod to the Chinese zodiac, or double ennuendo…?
5. You know the dog just wants to march…
6. School girl theme because why not?
7. Hoist the colors!
8. Smiles all ’round as the sun goes down
9. Not sure who this is but 10/10 for effort and tone
10. Killing it!
12. … no wait, still alive.
13. On a serious note, the day was about sending a message…
14. Through the medium of happy, winking condoms…
15. About the need for equality and change in Hong Kong and China…
16. And those who seek sanction there.
17. Coming together as a community and a family…
18. And, obviously, to have fun.