Trans kids charity Mermaids has just won Charity of the Year, despite being subject to a vicious attack on the front page of the Daily Mail.
The European Diversity Awards were presented at a banquet at the Natural History Museum in London this evening.
Other winners included gay Christian Vicky Beeching. She now hosts the BBC’s flagship religious program, Songs of Praise, and was named Inspirational Role Model of the Year.
Mermaids’ win comes after a tough few months at the hands of the right-wing Daily Mail.
The Mail described the mom of one trans child supported by Mermaids as a child abuser in a front-page article in October.
But other parents backed the charity. They say Mermaids is a lifeline for teens struggling with their gender identity and a vital support for their parents and professionals.
The winners in 13 categories included companies and individuals representing all aspects of diversity across Europe.
Linda Riley, the European Diversity Awards founder, said: ‘In the year of Brexit, with all the uncertainty about the future that brings, these awards are more important than ever.’
European Diversity Awards winners
- Hero of the Year: Dr Helena Dalli
- Charity of the Year: Mermaids UK
- Journalist of the Year: Nikki Fox
- Inspirational Role Model of the Year: Vicky Beeching
- Outstanding Employee Network Group of the Year: Deloitte – Multicultural Network
- Community Project of the Year: Refugee Community Kitchen
- Supplier Diversity and Inclusion Program of the Year: Intel
- Diversity Team of the Year: Royal Air Force Diversity Team
- Marketing Campaign of the Year: Tastes of the World by PHD UK and OMG Ethnic for Sainsbury’s
- Campaigner of the Year: Jonathan Andrews BCA
- Head of Diversity of the Year: Pamela Hutchinson
- Company of the Year: Accenture
- Diversity Champion of the Year: Philip Bourchier O’Ferrall